The old staggered crossroads in Wansford with the Great North Road crossing left to right and the old Leicester Road passing towards and away from the cameraman. Today that equates to the A1 crossing the A47 !
Eventually the crossroads were straightened by demolishing the Old Mermaid Inn which is just out of shot to the left of the photographer but both roads were eventually replaced with bypasses.
The old Slipper Baths on Trinity Street and, below, an old galvanised Slipper Bath sold recently at a local auction. The old buildings to the left of the Slipper Baths would, in 2018, be the site of the Trinity Street Car Park.
The Slipper Baths were used by locals who had no access to baths at home (or even hot water in some cases). The building opened in 1935 but was still in use into the early 1970s. At their peak of popularity in the early 1950s, more than 1,000 people used the baths every week !
Inside, there were 24 “slipper” baths (see image below), 18 for men and 6 for women. The charge was 6d for the bath, 6d for towel hire and 1d for soap. There were individual cubicles with their own mirror, bath brush and a wooden board to stand on.
A nice advertising card for Cutlack & Co Brewers who were based at the Phoenix Brewery on Priestgate. The brewery was established in the mid-1800s by Charles Cutlack who ran the business until his death in 1884. It was then managed by his executors until Cutlack & Co Ltd was registered in 1895, which was in turn acquired by Cutlack & Harlock Ltd in March 1917 who continued brewing until 1923.
Portland House in Whittlesey pictured around 1915. The house was built as a private residence, dating back to the early 1600s and was believed to have been built by the second Earl of Portland. It was demolished in 1945 but some remains (gates, stone garden walls, diagonal paths and a rose garden) still survive today off Manor View in the town.
A receipt for one term’s tuition and board at Laurel Court in 1899.
The beneficiary was 10 year old Arthur Tuke Kirkby of Sutterton, Lincolnshire who, at the time, was the only boy at an otherwise all girl school. He did have his older sisters at the school, 14 year old Alice and 13 year old Jessie.
POSH manager Jack Fairbrother (standing left) pictured in the boardroom in the early 1960s with chairman Tommy Peake (seated) and club secretary Harold Pepper (standing right).
“Jack” was born John Fairbrother in Burton in 1917 and played as goalkeeper for Preston North End in 1946, joining Newcastle United the following season where he completed four seasons and played in his side’s FA Cup winning side at Wembley in 1951.
After retiring from the game, he went into management with POSH (1952-1954) and later with Coventry City (1953-1954) before returning to POSH for a second spell (1962-1964).