This was the Great Northern Railway signal box at Walton crossing in the 1970s – one of two boxes at the site with a standard wooden Midland Railway box in the space between the GN lines and the Midland line. There was also a station on the Midland line here which closed in the early 1950s.
Each box had its own level crossing gates which were shut independent of each other. There was a small space between the gates where cows, which were on the way to and from milking at Browns farm just up the road, were sometimes trapped in between the two sets of gates – often with one or two cars waiting for the other set of gates to open !
In the 1950s and 1960s long trains with 9Fs and ex LNER 01s and WD 2-8-0s pulled long trains of wagons slowly over this crossing waiting to get into Westwood yard.
Road traffic tailed back at peak times in the late 1960s even before the hundreds of new houses which were put up for the new townships. When the new A47 Parkway road bridge opened, this crossing was closed making for a two mile diversion for cars but a foot bridge was built for pedestrians and cyclists.
[thanks to http://ukrailways1970tilltoday.me.uk for the info]
A lovely image of the quiet frontage of Peterborough North Station, taken from upper floor of the Great Northern Hotel in 1939.
Notice of railway disruption in 1963 after the old wooden bridge over the Nene at Stanground, known locally as “Black Bridge”, was destroyed by fire. The name was derived from the thick dark tar that coated and preserved the timbers but which ultimately, when exposed to the fire, hastened its end.
The rare site of a GWR engine taking on water at Peterborough during what must have been a special railtour. Pictured is #7029 Clun Castle which was withdrawn from service in 1965 – the date on the rear of this photo. In 1967, the same engine made a number of special railtours from Kings Cross and this may actually be one of those tours.
One of the first engines ever to be preserved, Clun Castle is currently awaiting boiler work at its preservation home in Tyseley, near Birmingham.
An 1850 illustration commemorating the opening the Great Northern Line running from Peterborough down to London …… albeit not at this stage to Kings Cross which was to open two years later !
Peterborough East Station as shown in the Illustrated London News shortly after opening in 1845.
Two fascinating illustrations dating to 1845 and the opening of what is now referred to locally as the Nene Valley Railway.
The footings to the original Lynch Bridge can still be seen today if you search them out in the woods and the bridge spanning the Nene survives today, albeit having been rebuilt and upgraded several times since the 1845 original.
London Kings Cross based Gresley N2 No. 69549 operating as station pilot at Peterborough North in the early 1960s.
LNER Class 13 No.7400 stabled at Peterborough East.
A third class one-way ticket from Peterborough East to Wansford, dated 20th March 1954.