Marked simply as “British Legion 1922/1923” with an accompanying pencil note suggesting the photograph was taken at “Thorpe Lawns”. The British Legion was founded in 1921 which suggests this may have been the newly formed Peterborough branch.
August 1912 is still to this day listed as the worst Summer month in terms of rainfall since records began with nearly 200mm of rain recorded in many areas. The flooded Nene in Peterborough caused havoc in the many yards that populated the area we now know as Rivergate. Bodgers Yard today would be sited adjacent to the main entrance to the Asda Superstore.
An 1890 dated magic lantern slide showing the Guildhall. The magic lantern was an early type of image projector employing pictures painted, printed or produced photographically on transparent plates usually made of glass. It was mostly developed in the 17th century but was in wide use from the 18th century until the mid-20th century when it was superseded by a compact version that could hold many 35mm photographic slides …… the slide projector.
The old Slipper Baths on Trinity Street and, below, an old galvanised Slipper Bath sold recently at a local auction. The old buildings to the left of the Slipper Baths would, in 2018, be the site of the Trinity Street Car Park.
The Slipper Baths were used by locals who had no access to baths at home (or even hot water in some cases). The building opened in 1935 but was still in use into the early 1970s. At their peak of popularity in the early 1950s, more than 1,000 people used the baths every week !
Inside, there were 24 “slipper” baths (see image below), 18 for men and 6 for women. The charge was 6d for the bath, 6d for towel hire and 1d for soap. There were individual cubicles with their own mirror, bath brush and a wooden board to stand on.
A nice advertising card for Cutlack & Co Brewers who were based at the Phoenix Brewery on Priestgate. The brewery was established in the mid-1800s by Charles Cutlack who ran the business until his death in 1884. It was then managed by his executors until Cutlack & Co Ltd was registered in 1895, which was in turn acquired by Cutlack & Harlock Ltd in March 1917 who continued brewing until 1923.
A receipt for one term’s tuition and board at Laurel Court in 1899.
The beneficiary was 10 year old Arthur Tuke Kirkby of Sutterton, Lincolnshire who, at the time, was the only boy at an otherwise all girl school. He did have his older sisters at the school, 14 year old Alice and 13 year old Jessie.
POSH manager Jack Fairbrother (standing left) pictured in the boardroom in the early 1960s with chairman Tommy Peake (seated) and club secretary Harold Pepper (standing right).
“Jack” was born John Fairbrother in Burton in 1917 and played as goalkeeper for Preston North End in 1946, joining Newcastle United the following season where he completed four seasons and played in his side’s FA Cup winning side at Wembley in 1951.
After retiring from the game, he went into management with POSH (1952-1954) and later with Coventry City (1953-1954) before returning to POSH for a second spell (1962-1964).