The very popular fish and chip shop of Walter Stenson pictured in the 1960s on Albert Place at a location that would be alongside today’s TKMaxx building on Bourges Boulevard.
A cast iron door plate marked Kettle & Son who may well be George Kettle Senior and George Kettle Junior. George Senior was born on the Elton estate in 1843 and, along with his son, worked as an engine fitter on the railways in the late 1800s but by the early 1900s the family had moved to School Place off Albert Place where George Senior was operating as an “iron planer”.
Although it has all the appearance of an eating establishment that would be closed down today, “fried fish dealer” Walter Stenson’s Fish & Chips shop on Albert Place was very popular in the 1960s.
Albert Place disappearing into the distance on the left was lost under Bourges Boulevard albeit the gloomy backdrop in the distance remains unchanged today with the railway tarpaulin works looming over what was and still is the Beehive pub.
Finely dressed guests await the opening of the Peterborough Electrical Power Station on June 28th, 1929 which was formally opened by HRH Prince George who, on the same day, also laid the foundation stone for the new Town Hall and opened the children’s wing of the Memorial Hospital !
Thanks to Lynne Dawkins for the image.
Looking up Albert Place towards the junction with Bridge Street in the early days of the construction of Bourges Boulevard. Amongst the rubble on the left was the popular little fish and chip shop that operated under what is today the Woolworths/TKMaxx building which had not started construction at this time.
Looking along Bridge street in 1941 with Albert Place heading off on the near left.
Today this would be taken at the busy pedestrian crossing with Bourges Boulevard running across the foreground. The last remnant of Albert Place today is the Beehive pub and the small section of road that runs outside it.
Hills Yard, Goodyears Yard, Bodgers Yard were all rows of dwellings that sat behind Broad or Narrow Bridge Street. The site, minus the dwellings, of Hills Yard remains today as a pathway from Asda to Bridge Street but that is all that remains of the Peterborough Yards.
The link below shows a 2012 satellite image of the area which – if you move your mouse over the image – shows a 1920 map of the same area.
The Bee-Hive pub in 2008 prior to its temporary closure and again in 2010 awaiting re-opening under new ownership.
The pub is sited on a small piece of old Peterborough, namely Albert Place, which was 95% buried by the building of Bourges Boulevard. The only remaining piece of Albert Place is the small dog-leg section at the entrance to the Asda car park on which the Bee Hive has always sat.
Many thanks to Richard Nicholson and Ray Cole for the images.
Pictured during the floods of 1912 and showing the precarious platforms being used to move around, School Place was a small spur off Albert Place and would today be under the site of the Asda car park.
Looking back up Albert Place towards the junction with Bridge Street and the distant Bishops Road.
Today this would be the busy Bourges Boulevard with the old Woolworths building on the left and Rivergate on the right.
A distinctly derelict looking Albert Place from the junction with Bridge Street. Today you would be looking down Bourges Boulevard towards Asda.