An undated image showing Laurel Court in the cathedral precincts. The Grade One Listed house dates back to 1690 with subsequent extension in the 1720s and has at various times bean a Deanery, a school and a home to Peterborough Cathedral’s choir.
A VE Day Parade in front of the Cathedral in 1945.
A superb Edwardian postcard issued by Raphael Tuck & Sons who were one of the pioneers of artistic picture postcards, dating back to 1866 in Bishopsgate, London.
This card came from the Cathedrals Series issued c.1904.
The funeral march for and burial of Reverend, later Canon, John James dating back to December 1868.
Dr John James, born 1782, held many significant roles within the area including headmaster of Oundle School (1809-1829), Vicar of Maxey (1832), Vicar of St John’s in Peterborough (1833-1850) and Canon of Peterborough Cathedral for forty years until his death in 1868.
He was buried in the grounds of Peterborough cathedral where a memorial plaque on the cathedral walls described him as a “preacher and a writer” and also referred to him as a “learned, loyal and devoted priest”.
A Great War enlistment poster featuring Edith Cavell who, as a 19 year old, attended Laurel Court School in the Cathedral precincts as a pupil-teacher.
An early 1900s photo of The Vineyard which was sited in the Cathedral Precincts and has since been converted to flats.
An old print dating to 1731 and produced by the Buck brothers, well known 18th century engravers and printmakers.
An old (c.1840?) steel-etched vignette engraving published by Rock & Co, London founded by William Frederick Rock (1801-1890). Most of his known works are from the south east of the UK and little is known of this engraving or the date.
An engraved image by the artist John Charles Varrall (1795-1855) and dating to 1827, showing a view of the city from the south west which presumably places the site somewhere just upstream of Town Bridge.
Presumably in pre health and safety days, a steeplejack captured on one of the cathedral spires in 1982.