An advertising leaflet for wrestling at the Corn Exchange on 4th April 1963.
The Bakers Store of Alfred Fowler with top three images showing their store on Church Street and the bottom image showing their earlier store on Dogsthorpe Road. The family also had stores in Eye and Market Deeping as well as a bakehouse in Fengate.
Some form of receipt/invoice from a Corn Exchange transaction in 1904.
H Mobb was Peterborough born Bridge Street boot maker Herbert Mobb (1860-1906) who was son of John Mobb who also ran a shoe making business in the city dating back to the mid 1800s.
The ring of eight bells from St John’s Church undergoing restoration in 1910 at the works of Gillett & Johnston in Croydon who are still in business today, more than 170 years after the business started.
The eve of destruction for the old Corn Exchange building in 1964 after it had served the city for ten years as a major music venue under the management of Norman Jacobs.
Building owners Norwich Union refused to extend the lease, leaving Jacobs to set up the Peterborough Palais as the new music venue for the city. The last band to play the Corn Exchange was The Ivy League on 23rd May 1964.
A rare image showing traders inside the old corn exchange building on Church Street.
The Corn Exchange was built in 1846 and opened on 24th November 1848 on the site of an old theatre and went on to become reputedly the busiest Exchange in the region right up to WW2 when it was badly damaged by a German incendiary bomb.
Looking along Church Street in 1952 on what was evidently a market day.
A very early 1900s image looking across Market Place to the shops on Church Street.
Busy shoppers on Church Street during Market Day.
The wonderful little Edwardian mobile Tea and Refreshments Room that used to sit on Church Street and was used by local horse drawn taxi operators during the first twenty years of the 1900s.