Workman at the end of Cowgate preparing for the building of today’s major roundabout.
A Daily Mail “official war postcard” from 1918 being used by Cowgate based hardware merchant Thomas William Rogers.
An undated view down Cowgate looking towards Market Place with the premises of Peterborough born pharmacist John William Bodger in the centre.
An original enamel sign for Thomson’s of Cowgate featuring – with a degree of artistic license – an image showing the aerial walkway between their stores on both sides of the road.
A wonderful watercolour painting of the top end of Cowgate and showing the old graveyard.
The painting dates to 1945 and was produced by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976). Wood was born in Cheadle Hulme near Manchester but moved to Barnack in 1937 after which he was responsible for some superb paintings of both Stamford and Peterborough.
A view of the top end of Cowgate on completion of Bourges Boulevard and the Cowgate roundabout.
Local dignitaries cutting the ribbon for the opening of Crescent Bridge on 15th April 1913. Location is presumably at the top end of Cowgate on or near Station Road.
Construction work taking place on the Cowgate roundabout and Bourges Boulevard in the 1970s.
The top end of Cowgate, probably pictured in the 1940s.
A view along Cowgate towards Bourges Boulevard in 1977.
The Blue Bell Inn on Cowgate around 1900. In later life this building became the more familiar Robertsons Cycle Shop which only stopped trading recently.
Thanks to Ed Jones for this fascinating photo of 38 Cowgate.
Ed comments, “I work at Kall Kwik, just over the road from Topo Gigio on Cowgate. Yesterday, 12 November 2014, the frontage of the building 38 Cowgate, formerly DV Nails, was removed as they have moved and exposed a Millets sign and decorative framework, it’s still visible today although the framework has been covered up now, it only looks temporary.”
A 1940 trade directory show that Milletts traded from this address and information on the Milletts website suggests this was one of the very first Milletts stores in the UK.
A wonderful shot along the side of Cowgate and looking back towards Market Place.
The very busy hardware store belonged to Peterborian Thomas William Rogers who lived on Thorpe Road.
Looking along Church Street and Cowgate on market day in 1962.
Thanks to Chris Allen for this image.
The Falcon on Cowgate. Today (2014) it is Prezzo’s Restaurant and it has taken on many other guises in the past (“Raffles”, “The Aldermans”, “Fingals Cave”).
The road in the foreground is Cowgate (right) leading into Thorpe Road (left) which up until just before this photo was taken (1913) would have taken people across the dual-gated Crescent Crossing. The horse drawn carriage is coming out of Station Road with the Crescent Bridge builders sign still present behind it. The Cleveland Bridge Engineering Co., Darlington is still a thriving business in 2014 !
In August 1956, fifty firemen turned out to fight a major fire on Cowgate that destroyed both Robert Sayle’s department store and Turner’s shoe shop. At one point the fire threatened to spread to further stores in Cowgate but firemen worked all night to limit the damage.
The top end of Cowgate in 1974 showing the drapery store of Armstrongs.
A nice image showing one side of Cowgate – date unknown.
A poignant image from the Great War days showing recruits walking in good spirits down Cowgate towards the railway station on the first leg of their journey to the home front. The recruiting office was in the background, just off Market Place and these men were all colleagues from Werner, Pfleiderer and Perkins on Westfield Road, renamed shortly after the war to the more familiar Baker Perkins, and became known as Werner’s Own Regiment.