The JH Duddington store that sat on the corner of Long Causeway (right) and Cumbergate (left), pictured c.1900.
A lovely old image dating to the late 1890s or very early 1900s and showing Indian born Edward Law’s Saddlery Shop (centre) with the Post Office building to the right. In 1904, the shop building was leveled to allow the Post Office to extend to the left.
An Edwardian view of Long Causeway with the Cumbergate junction on the right. Date unknown.
Crisps Wine Shop, later known as The Still public house, from a 1941 painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
The building survives today as the Handmade Burger Company and the access way in the background would, today, lead you into the Queensgate Centre.
The former Almshouses at the junction of Cumbergate and Exchange Street as presented in a 1944 watercolour painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
A nice watercolour painting of Long Causeway at the junction with Cumbergate on the left.
The painting dates to 1947 and was produced by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
An old and battered image of Cumbergate around 1910.
Chaotic scenes on Long Causeway with Cumbergate in the background ….. today the site of the “Boots” Queensgate entrance.
Thanks to Rob Sharman for a photo he took in 1969 showing Coltons Cycles which were on Cumbergate at the time.
Six images showing the inside and outside of The Still in its heyday.