The former Almshouses at the junction of Cumbergate and Exchange Street as presented in a 1944 watercolour painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
Before Costa Coffee and Starbucks, we had the Peterborough Coffee House Company !
Situated on the corner of Exchange Street and Queen Street from the early 1880s, the PCHC also ran the Fitzwilliam Coffee House at the junction of New Road and City Road and also the Bedford Temperance Hotel on Queen Street.
Running along the back of St John’s Church, Exchange Street was formerly known as St John’s Street.
The building on the left was the house of the church sexton and the building on the far right is the rear corner of the Corn Exchange.