This factory on Huntly Grove was opened in 1878 by Leicester based Luke Turner who had been running a very successful business in his home town since 1862 supplying elasticated products for “braids, cords, garters, corsetry, bandages, covered fine elastic for millinery, drapery, umbrella, welts for underwear and kindred goods”.
Luke Turner died in 1897 his sons carried on the business, which continued as a private company until 1938, when it became a …public company. Three years later it was taken over by Penn Elastics, an American-owned firm that merged with Clucksam & Kemp in 1966 when both the Leicester and Peterborough factories were closed down. Until then they were still operating under the title Luke Turner & Company. From 1966 the Leicester factory was occupied by Stibbe-Haddon Ltd (a subsidiary of G Stibbe & Co, Ltd) for the manufacture of knitted fabric; that company operated under its own name, although purchased by the Spirella group 1972. The Leicester factory was closed in 1974. Since then it has been used for storage, initially by the Leicestershire Area Health Authority who vacated the building in 1992.
The Peterborough factory was only partly demolished by 1967 and was soon to become the temporary base for Braidex before they moved on to Fengate.
In the image (taken around 1929), Huntly Grove is on the far right. The older buildings, with chimney, on the left were the original 1877 premises with the more modern buildings to the right added later.
Looking out along Park Road towards Central Park in the far distance and with Huntly Grove crossing in the foreground. The long lost building on the right was the original Peterborough High School for girls, established on the site in 1895 where it remained until relocating to Thorpe Road as Westwood House School in 1936.
A very early stone jar from the company now based in Crowland as the major manufacturer of Soda Syphons.
L Adcock was Leonard Adcock who moved to premises on Huntly Grove in 1911 with his wife Sarah where they brewed and sold Ginger Beer and Dandelion & Burdock in stone jars – the term “Botanical Brewer” signifies a brewer of non-alcoholic drinks. Sarah was very much the chief brewer whereas Leonard looked after the sales and delivery via the business’s single horse drawn dray. The lower image is almost certainly of Leonard at work !
In 1928, the business had grown sufficient for them to purchase their first motorised vehicle – a model T Ford van – and Adcocks (Peterborough) had entered the local soft drinks trade.
In 1954, Adcocks purchased Hydrox Ltd and started producing their own brand of glass soda syphons to support their soft drinks trade and ultimately focussed more on the syphon side of the business where they now have the UK’s #1 position as manufacturers.
Huntly Grove Post Office at the junction with Dogsthorpe Road and Granville Street.
Here’s some trivia …… Huntly Grove was named after the Marquess of Huntly who formerly resided at Orton Hall !