Bikes dominating Lincoln Road with Manor House Street in the foreground on the right.
A 1902 billhead/receipt from tailor and draper Alexander MacRae of 31 Lincoln Road, Boroughbury. MacRae was descended from a family of Scottish drapers but married a Peterborough girl.
A group photo from Lincoln Road Girls School in 1923. The school was later to become Lincoln Road County Modern School for Boys and the buildings are still in place and in use today at the junction of Lincoln Road and York Road.
The Wortley Almshouses on Westgate opposite the junction with Lincoln Road, captured in a 1942 painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
These three ladies were pictured at the golden jubilee of the County Girls School in 1954 and were all former (or current) headmistresses. From left to right, Miss Vail (1936-1946), Miss Mona Mathews (1946-1969) and Miss Kate Wragge (1904-1936).
A 1906 image showing a tram outside Adams Mill on Lincoln Road.
Bikers enjoying a summer 1977 beer outside The Norfolk Inn on the corner of Lincoln Road and Dogsthorpe Road which closed in 2001.
Adams Mill on Lincoln Road, Millfield. Date unknown but probably 1920s after the sails were removed but before being replaced by Adams Garage in the late 1930s.
The corner of Westgate and Lincoln Road in the 1960s showing newsagent/tobaconist/bookseller/stationer “Johnson’s Corner”.
Despite becoming a Grade II listed building in 1973, the only remains of the building today are parts of the foundations on and around a car park !
Girls from the County Girls School Sixth Form of 1979.
An undated image showing the old County School for Girls on Lincoln Road.
A lovely view along a quiet Lincoln Road with St Marks Church in the distance – date unknown.
Many thanks to Graham Hobbs for this image captured in 1964 of the top end of Lincoln Road where it meets Westgate.
Graham adds …. “this picture is of my father’s ‘Builder’s Merchant’ business. Clarke and Hobbs shop was at 5 Lincoln Road at the Westgate end. There was a warehouse situated at the back of the old Labour Exchange in Westgate occupying what is now the road that goes past the Brewery Tap. Strangely this shop is now the last building standing from those days in the 50”s and 60’s.”
Members of Western Star Youth Club, based on Lincoln Road, pose for the camera after taking delivery of a new mini-bus !
The basement “rifle range” at the Peterborough Youth Centre on Lincoln Road, being run here as part of the Western Star Youth Club.
The opening day of the City Youth Centre on Lincoln Road in February 1968 with new members queueing up to register.
Some of the leaders and members of the Western Star youth club which was based at the Lincoln Road Youth Centre having been previously at the Bishops Road Youth Centre and originally at Westgate Church Hall.
Left to right are Tony Self, Lesley Marshall, Janet Calverson, Ann Crowson, Mick Burn-Murdoch, Jeff Bryan, Dorothy Bowden and Verity Clements (sitting on the floor).
Looking along Lincoln Road at the early stages of the demolition of Rhubarb Bridge that had previously carried the Peterborough to Wisbech railway. Today’s bridge carries the busy A47 parkway.
The newly opened Adams Garage on Lincoln Road, Millfield in 1938.
An Oddfellows March moving off Lincoln Road onto Westgate in June 1913.
The Oddfellows was a collective name for Friendly Societies primarily set up to raise funds for looking after their members before the days of welfare, trade unions and the NHS.