Workers from J P Halls and Sons who manufactured water pumps for ships and industrial use . The company was started in Wallsend, Newcastle Upon Tyne by John Perry Hall and moved to Peterborough in 1893. The factory closed in 1963 when Bennie Lifts bought the London Road / Queens Walk premises.
An aerial shoot looking down on the Town Bridge in the last days before building work started on today’s river and rail bridge. Peterborough East station is just in shot top right while the newly opened (1929) Power Station is out of shot bottom left with coal wagons being served up from the main line.
The busy Great Eastern railway crossing on London Road showing the pedestrian bridge over the crossing on the right.
This scene now sits below left of the current Town Bridge as you approach the city. If you look down off the bridge today, you can still see what is left of this road approaching the railway lines.
An old pump plate marked JP Hall & Sons.
John Percy Hall was born at Walker-on-Tyne on 10th December 1846. He served his apprenticeship on the Tyne, after which he went into the drawing office of the Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Co., Ltd., rapidly becoming chief draughtsman and shortly afterwards, about 1876, manager.
In 1881 he left Wallsend to take charge of the Engine Works of Palmer’s Shipbuilding and Iron Co., Ltd., where he was largely concerned in the development of the triple-expansion engine.
Eight years later he left Jarrow to take up the post of managing director of John Penn and Sons, Ltd., Greenwich. While at Jarrow and Greenwich he had the control of the design and construction of many war-vessels, ranging from battleships to destroyers and scouts.
In 1899 he founded the firm of J. P. Hall and Sons, Ltd., on London Road, Peterborough, for the construction of direct-acting pumps of his own design, which have become very well-known. In 1962, WH Allen, Sons and Co acquired most of the shares in J. P. Hall and Sons and in 1963, a fall in demand for Hall’s products resulted in the business being amalgamated with Allen’s Pershore division.
A bruised and battered aerial image from the early 1900s showing the London Road access to the city. In the foreground far right is the old Fletton level crossing that caused great problems with accessing the city from the south. The new 1934 Town Bridge was extended to cross the river and railway in order to improve the access to what we know today.
Crowds crossing the Town Bridge on their way to the opening of the Bridge Fair. The tradition of the Peterborough Bridge Fair dates back to the reign of King Henry VI and continues today.
This image was captured from the railway crossing that used to take the line from Peterborough East station across the main access road to the city from the east …… the Town Bridge in these days simply bridged the river rather than today’s bridge which takes out the railway line too.
The match day souvenir programme from Peterborough United’s first ever home game in the old Football League Division Four. POSH went on to win the game 3-0.
An Eastern Counties bus on the 151 route to Cambridge climbs towards the bridge carrying London Road over the East Coast Main Line. Behind can be seen the floodlights of Peterborough United’s ground in the days before the new stand was built – the floodlight tower on the extreme left and the one behind the front corner of the bus were removed when the new stand was built. The white painted house is on the corner of Fletton Avenue, whilst the dark house beyond is on Glebe Road.
The vehicle is a Bristol Lodekka with Eastern Coachworks body.
Photo copyright of MARTIN ADDISON
Looking back towards the city from London Road with the infamous GER railway crossing in the middle distance – the passenger footbridge over the crossing can be seen just right of centre in the image.