An 1890 dated magic lantern slide showing the Guildhall. The magic lantern was an early type of image projector employing pictures painted, printed or produced photographically on transparent plates usually made of glass. It was mostly developed in the 17th century but was in wide use from the 18th century until the mid-20th century when it was superseded by a compact version that could hold many 35mm photographic slides …… the slide projector.
A busy market day in the 1920s.
A nice atmospheric watercolour print from Derby born topographical artist Louise Raynor (1829-1924) and depicting Market Place in the 1860s.
Three smartly dressed gents with canes in hand walking across a quiet Market Place around 1910. Note the Ladies Cloakroom to the right of the Guildhall.
An impressive gathering of horses on the cobbles of Market Place – date unknown.
An early 1900s Magic Lantern slide showing Market Place. The Magic Lantern was a very early projector, originally for hand drawn slides and later for early photographs.
Familiar to so many Peterborians of a certain age ….. the underground toilets on Cathedral Square !
A busy Market Place pictured in 1903.
A superb Edwardian postcard issued by Raphael Tuck & Sons who were one of the pioneers of artistic picture postcards, dating back to 1866 in Bishopsgate, London.
This card came from the Cathedrals Series issued c.1904.
An unusually quiet market scene with just a handful of traders in front of the Guild Hall.
An early Market Place image featuring a horse drawn cart belonging to builders merchant George Rippon of 128 Park Road.
Looking along Church Street in 1952 on what was evidently a market day.
Market Place captured in a 1940s painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
Crowds gather on Market Place to celebrate Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee in June 1897.
Crowds gathering on Market Place ….. date and reason unknown !
Just in front of the Guildhouse is a broadcasting unit marked “Northamptonshire Electric & Wireless Company”.
Brave young men marching from the Army Recruitment Office off Market Place after signing up to defend their country on Monday 12th October 1914.
The underground toilets pictured on Cathedral Square in early 2002. They were closed in 2005 after falling into a state of disrepair and were officially replaced by a more modern toilet block behind the Town Hall.
A damp Cathedral Square in 1986.
A nice colour image showing the Guildhall in 1967.
Cathedral Square and the Guildhall in the days of wooden benches and flower beds.