Categories

Royal Mail Van, Priestgate

A wonderful early Royal Mail van pictured in the yard of the Phoenix Brewery off Priestgate. The vehicle also appears in the recently published image of the Phoenix Yard and the driver also appears in a recent Sawtry image featuring a different Royal Mail van.

Cutlack & Co., Phoenix Brewery, Priestgate

A wonderful undated image that shows a fleet of delivery vehicles in the yard of the Phoenix Brewery on Priestgate.

The brewery was established in the mid-1800s by Charles Cutlack who ran the business until his death in 1884. It was then managed by his executors until Cutlack & Co Ltd was registered in 1895, which was in turn aquired by Cutlack & Harlock Ltd in March 1917 who continued brewing until 1923.

At some point, the brewery moved to Monument Street.

Sunday School Pageant (1920s)

No idea of the location for this one but probably dating to early 1920s.

Kindly supplied by Glyn and Cynthia Hall who can confirm that it was a pageant organised by the Sunday School at Trinity Church on Priestgate.

JE Saunders – Priestgate

A ginger beer bottle from the early 1900s, produced by James Edwin Saunders who ran a chemists at 35 Priestgate. JE Saunders went into voluntary liquidation in 1917 and were taken over by a local rival firm. 

Cutlack & Co Ginger Beer bottle

A lovely old ginger beer bottle from Cutlack & Co Brewers who were based at the Phoenix Brewery on Priestgate. The brewery was established in the mid-1800s by Charles Cutlack who ran the business until his death in 1884. It was then managed by his executors until Cutlack & Co Ltd was registered in 1895, which was in turn aquired by Cutlack & Harlock Ltd in March 1917 who continued brewing until 1923.

Peterborough Infirmary

Today’s Peterborough Museum in Priestgate used to be the city’s first hospital – evidence for which can still be seen via the various signs around the back of the building.

The building itself dates from 1816 and was the town house of newly weds Thomas and Charlotte Cooke who went on to sell the mansion to the 3rd Earl Fitzwilliam who offered it up as a hospital from 1857 through to the building of the Memorial Hospital in 1928. The building became the city mseum in 1931. 

City Infirmary c.1909

Built in 1816, the building became an infirmary in 1856 and operated as the city’s main hospital through WW1 and up to the building of the War Memorial Hospital in 1928. It is now Peterborough’s museum.

Of probably more interest than the all too familiar frontage are the buildings to the rear of the site which still carry some quite worrying signage from the infirmary days ….. worth taking a stroll down for a look !

CityInfirmary1910-then

CityInfirmary1910-now