Cows taking a drink in the foreground and the original Town Bridge in the background with the Customs House on the right and English Brothers site on the left. Image dates to around 1919.
Town Bridge and the River Nene in a state of flood on Friday 30th October 1903. The month was one of the wettest on record with Peterborough seeing more than 21 rainy days in the month !
An aerial shoot looking down on the Town Bridge in the last days before building work started on today’s river and rail bridge. Peterborough East station is just in shot top right while the newly opened (1929) Power Station is out of shot bottom left with coal wagons being served up from the main line.
Kent based Bert Hansell aka “The Birdman” launches from bankside in an attempt to fly across the Nene in October 1971 ….. needless to say, he failed and was rescued from the water soon after !
Looking across the River Nene to the demolition site for the old Power Station in the mid 1980s ….. all that remains today is the sub-station next to Town Bridge.
The embankment area in flood after the infamous storms of August 1912.
Perkins diesel powered HMS Sprat moored alongside the Customs House in November 1957 during a visit to the city and to Perkins.
Wonderful aerial view of Peterborough and the Nene in 1931.
[image courtesy http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk]
The Nene Star based at Ferry Meadows shortly after the park opened and operating boat trips around the lake and for short distances out on the Nene around Milton Ferry. The Nene Star was built in 1980 by a Mr Wright from Kettering.
An old print dating to 1731 and produced by the Buck brothers, well known 18th century engravers and printmakers.
Peterborough from the air in July 1932 showing the relatively unspoilt landscape east of the city.
An old (c.1840?) steel-etched vignette engraving published by Rock & Co, London founded by William Frederick Rock (1801-1890). Most of his known works are from the south east of the UK and little is known of this engraving or the date.
An engraved image by the artist John Charles Varrall (1795-1855) and dating to 1827, showing a view of the city from the south west which presumably places the site somewhere just upstream of Town Bridge.
A boat being lowered onto the River Nene from a railway low-loader on 7th September 1941. The location is Black Bridge near Stanground.
An unusually busy scene looking upstream on the Nene towards Town Bridge from what would today be the Embankment.
Two images showing the 1937 construction of a Coffer Dam downstream of the city to enable the laying of a main sewer pipe under the river bed. The dam would be a temporary river enclosure that would then be drained to enable the pipe to be laid.
A wartime motor torpedo boat berthed on the Embankment in 1946.
The wooden-built veteran of European hostilities arrived at Peterborough under tow from a small steam-tug which normally pulled one of the last ‘gangs’ of Fenland lighters.
It was a familiar site on the river between 1946-1951 and was deemed to be on “special duties”. The Admiralty was keen to “promote sea-mindedness” and 777 acted as HQ for the Sea Cadets, moored alongside the Customs House.
During wartime, the wooden boat had seen active service (1945) on the Dutch and Belgian coasts. Disarmed and without engines, the 777 remained, nevertheless, a naval vessel until disposed of by the Admiralty in the early 1950s.
A wonderful undated image showing firemen putting on what was presumably an impressive display outside the Customs House with (Broad) Bridge Street in the distance.
Note the wharfside on which the onlookers are standing which was to vanish under the new and current day Town Bridge when it was built.
A superb image showing a busy Peterborough Rowing Regatta on the Nene with Town Bridge just visible on the far right of the image.
Looking upstream from Town Bridge in the early 1960s and showing the Patent Safety Ladder Company premises.