Procter Family with Australian Corporal

Little is known about this image at the moment aside from it contains an Australian Corporal and four members of the Royal Army Medical Corps outside “digs” somewhere in Peterborough. The visible house sign suggests it is a Procter family but the postcard was addressed to “Rev & Mrs Cooper, 10 Priestgate”.

Peterborough Flax Pullers (1918)

A team of flax pullers pictured in 1918 with their lorry carrying the proud slogan “pull it clean”.

Farmers during both WW1 and WW2 were encouraged to grow flax which was then removed, complete with roots, by hand and left to soak for several days before being laid out on the land to dry. Once dried, the bundles of flax were transported to Scutching Mills to complete a process of turning it into a fine linen that was used to cover the bodywork of aircraft.

This image is captured in Peterborough but the exact location is unknown.

Peterborough Co-Operative Society (c.1920)

An early 1920s photo showing store no.7 of the Peterborough Co-Operative Society which was somewhere in Eastgate.

The society’s roots go back to 1876 when a travelling salesman from the north sold tea from a canvas covered area in the city. To help the widow of a local railwayman he gave five per cent of his takings to the widow, selling 1,400 lbs of tea that night and raising her £12. He also gave out coupons to his customers which they could exchange for gifts. His rival traders argued that this put him in breach of the Lottery Act and, although magistrates sentenced the man to two hours’ detention, his actions inspired the locals.

The very first meeting of the Peterborough Co-operative Society took place in his tent !!!

Peace Day Celebrations (1919)

Two lovely images capturing the peace day celebrations of 18th July 1919 – a one-day bank holiday celebration declared by a specially created “peace committee” who were given the task of determining how the country should celebrate the end of the Great War.

Brainsby & Sons Outing (1911)

A superb 1911 image showing Brainsby & Sons staff preparing for their annual outing. Thomas Brainsby & Sons was founded in 1905 in Peterborough where they built bodies for such cars as Crossley, Fiat, Hotchkiss and occasionally even Rolls-Royce. The company faded away in the 1920s.