A nice image captured by local photographer George Caster showing a tram heading out along Westgate. The tram is unusually showing a destination board for Queens Drive.
A nice colour tinted view of Westgate in the early 1900s.
A lovely view along Westgate in 1921 from the junction with Long Causeway.
The long since demolished Westgate House which was owned by the Tomlin family. It later became Miss Willoughby’s Boarding School for girls.
The top end of Westgate in the 1960s when the road used to continue round to the right and become Westwood Street. At the junction with Ackland Street (distant right) is the Six Bells Public House. Willey’s newsagents shop is in the foreground and furthest left is Morrison’s paint shop.
Below are a set of photos of Ernest and Christopher Willey outside their shop, Christopher inside the shop and Ernest outside in colour in the 1960s.
A military band leads a church parade of discharged soldiers and sailors from the Great War along Westgate on Sunday 14th April 1918.
In 2017, the photographer would be standing at the John Lewis end of the Wortley Almshouses and looking across to the corner of Westgate and Lincoln Road. This image shows the view around 1900 with the Black Horse Inn far left and the iron fencing far right that protected Peterborough’s first underground toilets in the middle of Westgate !
The Bull Hotel on Westgate pictured in the early 1980s just after having new windows added !
Looking down Westgate, with the old Mansion House on the right, viewed from the junction with Long Causeway/Broadway as depicted in a wonderful 1940s watercolour painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
The Wortley Almshouses on Westgate opposite the junction with Lincoln Road, captured in a 1942 painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
A Walton bound tram moving along Westgate and approaching the turn onto the Boroughbury end of Lincoln Road.
A nice hand coloured Edwardian view along Westgate.
Looking down on Long Causeway from the corner of Midgate in 1980 with the new Queensgate centre taking shape.
The back yard / car park of the Bull Hotel on Westgate pictured around 1972.
The local lads with the car include well known local musician Lloyd Watson with the afro-cut at the very rear. The others are Robin Wilcock (left in vest), Steve “Gunner” Gunns (front on bonnet), Richard Prudames (standing right) and Pete Stanley (on roof in blue).
The corner of Westgate and Lincoln Road in the 1960s showing newsagent/tobaconist/bookseller/stationer “Johnson’s Corner”.
Despite becoming a Grade II listed building in 1973, the only remains of the building today are parts of the foundations on and around a car park !
A nice family portrait from around 1910 and captured by photographer May Bone working at her Westgate studio. May listed herself as a “photographer’s apprentice” as a 14 year old at her home base at Fakenham, Norfolk and by age 30 had studios in Fakenham, Aylsham, Hunstanton and Peterborough.
After her death, her Peterborough studio was purchased by John Rozelar and then, in 1957, by Thomas Howell and became part of the locally well known Campkins business.
A nicely detailed shot of Westgate – date unknown. Amongst the shops on the near right is the hairdressers of Harold Keech while middle right shows the Royal Hotel which is, today (2016), The Banyan Tree.
Lovells Garage on Westgate with Becketts Butchers next door to the left. Today this would be pretty much across the road from the Wortley Almshouses.
The Six Bells on Westgate – complete with period police car – in the 1970s.
A Walton bound tram heading along Westgate in 1906 with the Mansion House on the immediate left.