The front and rear of the original thatched Wheatsheaf Inn on Eastfield Road which was on a slightly different site than the more recent pub of the same name.
The Ostrich Inn on North Street pictured approximately 100 years apart !
The Ostrich dates back to c.1840 and was a popular city nightspot from the early 1900s. In its heyday, it attracted some of the biggest names in cinema including Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel (of Laurel and Hardy fame). After a series of name changes and rebrands, from the Ostrich to a home brew shop to Bogarts, it re-opened in August 2009 as the Ostrich once again.
In 2017, the photographer would be standing at the John Lewis end of the Wortley Almshouses and looking across to the corner of Westgate and Lincoln Road. This image shows the view around 1900 with the Black Horse Inn far left and the iron fencing far right that protected Peterborough’s first underground toilets in the middle of Westgate !
A lovely old image showing the Huntingdon Breweries owned Black Bull public house at Sawtry around 1912 ….. which was also known as or later known as (not clear which) The Durham Ox.
The Black Bull was situated at the junction of Green End Road and St Judiths Lane and although no longer a drinking establishment, the building is still standing as a private residence in 2016.
The former New Mermaid Inn on the A1 at Wansford re-opened in 2016 after significant, superb and sympathetic restoration took it from the decaying ruin of the old Little Chef building to the new offices for Harris McCormack Architects (upstairs) and Peterborough Ducati (downstairs).
The original building dates back to 1932 when it opened as The Wansford Knight, the fifth “roadhouse” of the “Knights of the Road” chain. In 1936 it changed hands and became the New Mermaid Inn which was touted as the replacement for the Olde Mermaid Inn that was demolished that year at the point where the old Great North Road and Leicester Road crossed at the heart of Wansford village. The new premises were a popular wartime drinking location for USAAF airmen based at nearby Kings Cliffe Airfield.
In the late 1970s, the Inn was bought by Forte who rebranded it as a Little Chef restaurant which continued in existence until 2007 after which it fell into rapid, graffiti strewn, decay.
The original building was considered an architectural rarity as it was one of a small number surviving in the “Bauhaus” style which saw the building listed for preservation before renovations by Forte removed key elements of the original design.
Today, the building has been renamed “Archaus”, in recognition of the resident architects and of the original architectural style.
Thanks to Eddy Baxter of Ducati Peterborough for keeping us updated and for the 2016 images.