Superb footage of wartime activities at Polebrook Airfield in 1943, featuring the magnificent B17 Flying Fortresses of the 351st Bomb Group of the US Air Force
Saturday 9th October 2010 and the walls came crashing down – the Wirrina Stadium was no more !
As the wonderful age of steam approached its demise in the early 1960s, there was a need for British Rail to come up with a powerhouse diesel locomotive to take on the arduous long distance haul up and down the East Coast Main Line. In 1961/1962 it found the answer in the most powerful diesel locomotive yet produced, the Class 55 “deltic” named after the distinctive twin Napier Deltic engines that powered these monsters up and down the line, through Peterborough, right up to their demise in 1982.
Not surprisingly, a number of these iconic engines were saved from the cutter’s torch and some have even been restored and maintained well enough to be allowed back onto their old stamping ground where they haul occasional and very popular day excursions.
On Saturday 12th June 2010, the “Capital Deltic” excursion coasted down the main line and through Peterborough, hauled by East Lancashire Railway’s “Deltic 22”, 55022 Royal Scots Grey.
Wonderful footage of cars leaving Reed’s Garage on Broadway during a Buy British Week campaign.
Classic early footage of Bridge Street as cars look to manouvre up what appears to be Priestgate.
The first week of June 2010 saw the demise of the old Royal Mail sorting office on Bourges Boulevard as the area prepared for the “station quarter” redevelopment.
The long awaited switching on of the Cathedral Square fountains took place in early June 2010 ….. much to the delight of local kids on their half-term break !
Footage of the new Town Bridge under construction in 1934.
A British Pathe video feature on a forthcoming FA Cup game with Sheffield Wednesday that shows brief clips of Bridge Street, Market Place and Church Street.
Fantastic British Pathe footage of the royal cavalcade travelling along a crowded Narrow Street to the site of the new Town Hall where Prince George layed the foundation stone.
Footage captured by the Film Unit of Frank Perkins Limited opening with the Gordon Arms on the Oundle Road followed by footage of a busy Bridge Street, an equally busy Market Square and ending with boats on the Nene.