Looking along the much photographed Laundry Road in the village of Apethorpe in the 1930s ….. a scene largely unchanged today.
Two locals – and their dog – taking on the old stocks in the village of Apethorpe – date unknown but certainly prior to 1910 when they were moved to the current “bus shelter” site in the village. This image shows the stocks in the courtyard of the long lost Westmorland Arms pub, the site of which has now been absorbed by the village church.
These monuments to days long gone date back to the late 1700s and were used for punishing local crimes such as minor theft and drunkenness. The post on the right was the old “whipping post” with iron cuffs still in place.