A lovely rural scene showing the windmill at Barnack in 1960 when the restoration process had just started.
The Church Army was founded in England in 1882 by the Revd Wilson Carlile (afterwards prebendary of St Paul’s Cathedral), who banded together an orderly army of soldiers, officers, and a few working men and women, whom he and others trained to act as Church of England evangelists among the outcasts and criminals of the Westminster slums.
This image was taken in Barnack in 1907.
An undated image of Barnack Station along with its Epps’s Cocoa powder sign !
The station sat on the quiet Wansford to Stamford branch line with most locals preferring to travel the short distance to Uffington & Barnack station which sat on the far more useful Leicester to Peterborough (“Nene Valley”) line. Barnack station closed with the line in 1929 but the station building survives as a private residence today.
The tower mill at Barnack was built around 1797 and was in use up to 1914. It was restored between 1959 and 1962 and became a listed building after restoration was completed. The mill still holds the original machinery inside.
Many thanks to Richard Nicholson for the image.
1908 -v- 2009
A scene that has changed little over the last hundred years and will probably change little over the next hundred years too.
Note the clever modifications to the second building down to turn a shop into a home.
The lower image shows the view back up the street around 1919 with the village stores on the near left.