Gibbons Yard, Castor (1950s)

A series of photos, mostly taken in the early 1950s, showing farming equipment in the Castor yard of the Gibbons family. The top image shows Bob and Jack Gibbons in their yard in 1950.

Harry Gibbons & Sons Agricultural Machinery Hire was operated from ‘Gibbons Yard’ next to what is now the village hall since at least 1847, when Thomas Gibbons is listed in Kelly’s Directory as a machinist. However, the business is thought to have been established as early as 1840. At its height Gibbons had 40 traction engines, as well as various threshing machines and bailers. In the yard there were engineering workshops, a smithy, machine shop and carpentry workshops, all necessary to keep the machinery operational. The business was still operating in  the 1950s but eventually the yard fell into disuse and the buildings into disrepair. The property was sold in 1994.

Mossindew Stone Mason, Castor (1938)

The front garden of a lovely cottage in Castor in 1938 owned by local stone mason John Mossindew who has a selection of his work on display.

Standing in the doorway would be his wife Clara.

Castor Station (c.1902)

Castor Station pictured around 1902 with presumably the Station Manager standing outside of the booking office. The view is east towards Peterborough.


Castor Station

Castor Station probably pictured around its closure to all traffic in 1964 and I believe looking towards Peterborough with the station buildings out of sight to the left.

Castor Water Mill

The early 19th century water mill at Castor which, although much altered today to form a private residence, is still a Grade II listed building. Date of image unknown.

Jubilee Celebrations in Castor (2012)

The villagers of Castor put on a tremendous celebration for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee on Saturday 2nd June 2012 with plenty of traditional street scenes that could easily have come from previous eras ! 

Gibbons Yard, Castor

A wonderful selection of steam powered agricultural machinery belonging to Harry Gibbons of Castor who declared himself a Threshing Machinist in 1911.