An undated but very early image of greyhound racing at Fengate which started in 1931.
From a 1940s painting by urban landscape artist Wilfrid Rene Wood (1888-1976).
Also known as Peterborough Post Mill, it is thought to have been built in the eary 1700s and it ceased work in 1903 but remained in a semi-preserved state, minus the sails, until it was destroyed by fire on the 9th May 1919. The surrounding buildings were eventually lost under the Frank Perkins parkway.
The exact site of the mill would be very close to the end of Atkinson Street off Star Road and would, today, sit alongside the Parkway just as the eastbound sliproad down to the Boongate Roundabout starts.
The main office of the Isolation Hospital at Fengate pictured in 1982, nearly a year after it had closed. Also known as the St Peters Hospital for Infectious Diseases, it was based near Potters Way in Fengate and would, today, be buried under the Frank Perkins Parkway at the point where the Sewage Farm was sited.
An alloy metal plaque from “sluice gate specialists” Gote Engineering Ltd of 40 Fengate.
Chris Bennett adds, “Gote Engineering Ltd was a subsidiary company of Root Harvesters Ltd who manufactured potato and vegetable harvesters among other agricultural products for many years at their factory in Fengate. Gote is an old English word for a watercourse and as Gote Engineering made and repaired sluice gates the name seems quite appropriate.”
This image is marked as The Sanatorium, Peterborough and dates to around 1906. The Sanatorium was also known as St Peters Hospital for Infectious Diseases and was based near Potters Way in Fengate and would, today, be buried under the Frank Perkins Parkway at the point where the Sewage Farm was based.
Low Farm was demolished in 1901 to make way for a thirty bed Isolation Hospital that was much needed to handle the widespread outbreaks of Scarlet Fever, Diptheria and the like. This later became St Peter’s Hospital.