A 1969 aerial shot showing the Paper Mills site at Helpston.
The wonderful old railway station at Helpston pictured in 1971, five years after its closure. The Midland Railway station opened as early as 1846 and was known then as “Helpstone”, later becoming “Helpston for Market Deeping” in 1877 and simply “Helpston” from 1912 through to its closure on 6th June 1966.
Two images from 1911 showing the Blue Bell at Helpston with a relatively unchanged 2013 image below.
The preservation of the early 18th century building owes much to it having carried Grade II Listed status since 1955 which should hopefully keep the Inn’s appearance in safe hands for very many years to come.
A nice shot of a Diesel Multiple Unit approaching a rather overgrown Helpston Station probably in the late 1960s or early 1970s after the station’s closure in 1966.
Note the level crossing gates centre-right which were originally controlled by a separate signal box to the Great Northern level crossing out of sight to the right. When the two sets of gates closed, there was room for just two cars inbetween !
The station solely serviced the Midland Railway lines in the picture and not the Great Northern lines to the right …… an exclusivity agreement reached after the Midland Railway provided vital support in the building on the Great Northern lines in the mid 1800s.
A complaint notice from the Arborfield Mill in Helpston dated 1919. The Mill’s name appears to be derived from a paper mill at Arborfield near Reading, Berks which was run by the Towgood family before it was destroyed by fire. Alfred Towgood was based at St Neots when he purchased the struggling paper mill in Helpston in the 1860s and by the 1890s the mill was employing 46 local villagers.
The mill used a series of on-site bore-holes for its water supplies and continues today as Budget Paper Supplies Ltd (2012).
An undated image of the High Street in Helpston or Helpstone as the photographer marked it.
Two excellent images of Helpston Railway Station, run in its day by the Midland Railway and closed in 1966. From the look of the buildings, these images were taken shortly after closure.
The old Midland Railway station that was sited just on the Peterborough side of the main level crossing in the village.
The station opened as early as 1846 and was signed up then as “Helpstone”, becoming “Helpston for Market Deeping” in 1877 and simply “Helpston” from 1912 through to its closure on 6th June 1966.
Long lost roadside stone cottages on Maxey Road with an old water pump on the far left.
A horse and cart approach the cameraman in Helpston village in the early 1930s.