There are few more poignant or more atmospheric buildings in the Peterborough area than the old control tower on Kings Cliffe’s WW2 airfield.
Very few of these buildings remain across the UK and it is likely this one will be added to the “long lost” list soon but if you get chance to even see it from a distance then take that opportunity.
Although the airfield saw some time as an RAF base, it’s core wartime operations were under the control of the USAAF 8th who flew fighters primarily as escorts to the nearby bomber bases at Polebrook, Deenethorpe and Glatton. The airfield opened in 1941 and ceased as an operational base in early 1959.
The lower black and white image shows a wartime visit to the tower from the Duke & Duchess of Gloucester in 1943. The ledge they are standing on can be seen on the left of the top image.
The village saddlery in Park Street, run at this time by Frederic Blake and previously by his father dating back to the 1860s.
Today the saddlery building has sadly vanished !
A group of local girls watch on with great interest as the photographer captures the quiet Park Street.
Ellis’ Chemist Shop, on the left, not only dispensed medicines but provided local kids with “penny drinks” !
The shop has gone today but the scene remains very recognisable ….. even when the sun shines into the camera !
Not sure of the exact location other than railway sidings at Kings Cliffe where local farmers are loading up locally harvested sugar beet from their horse drawn carts.
Passengers waiting for a Peterborough based train on the Northampton to Peterborough East line that has been part restored by the Nene Valley Railway.
Very hard to see today’s scene as having any link but this is indeed the remains of the raised track bed and the stone foundations of the platform are just visible through the trees on the right.
It is possible to access the site via the “Willow Walk” footpath that climbs onto the track bed from alongside the railway bridge as you enter Kings Cliffe.
Looking down Bridge Street from the junction with Park Street.