What appears to be an early threshing machine in operation in the Sawtry area ….. date unknown.
A Hunts Council Steam Engine at an unknown location but very possibly in or around Sawtry.
St Judiths Lane, Sawtry in 1905 around the site of today’s playing fields car park.
The old thatch cottage was owned by the Wiles family and it caught fire in the late 1970s and was replaced with a pre-fab bungalow. The bungalow was lived in until sometime in the 1990s when Bill and Marie Wiles passed away, after which it was knocked down and the house that is there now was built on the land.
A 1909 view along Green End Road in Sawtry.
A view down Church Street in Sawtry. Date unknown but may be a view from the junction with High Street.
An early 1900s photo of Sawtry corn mill off Green End Road near the junction with Gidding Road and, below, sacks of corn being loaded in the yard onto trucks from Lough Transport of nearby Holme.
The Green at Sawtry pictured in 1909.
A 1930s image showing The Bell at Sawtry along with a modern day image below.
A battered car from a crash on the Great North Road being towed into the nearby garage of CM Wilcocks in Sawtry who also ran a roadside cafe in a building just out of the top picture to the left.
The Post Office on Green End Road, Sawtry pictured in 1909 with sub-postmistress Laura Parsons (1858-1923) in the doorway. Laura worked with her sister Helen Parsons and they also shared lodgings with Yorkshire born head school teacher Annie Bell.
The sign above the door to the right advertises “Mrs Bell, Dressmaker” who was locally born Rose Bell while far right is the Grocer, Draper and Provisions Store of Anna and Kate Clayson.
A wonderful c.1910 image of an early chauffeur driven motor vehicle carrying a well dressed lady and having just passed a horse drawn cart in the background.
The photo is marked as Great North Road but the nature of the road and the bend would suggest it is a local road nearby.
A nice George V Royal Mail van parked up somewhere in Sawtry – date unknown. The lower shot suggests the mailman may be posing outside of his family home.
Staff and soldiers at the Great War convalescent hospital at Whitehall, south of Sawtry. Now known as Coppingford Hall, the building is now the administrative HQ for Supreme Concrete.
The interior of the “Rest-A-Wyle” cafe on the Great North Road just south of Sawtry ….. pictured in the late 1920s.
Three undated images of Bennett’s Garage on the old Great North Road near Sawtry.
A bus turns off the A1 Great North Road to take the B1090 towards Holme – date unknown.
A lovely old image showing the Huntingdon Breweries owned Black Bull public house at Sawtry around 1912 ….. which was also known as or later known as (not clear which) The Durham Ox.
The Black Bull was situated at the junction of Green End Road and St Judiths Lane and although no longer a drinking establishment, the building is still standing as a private residence in 2016.
An undated image showing smartly dressed kids lined up in Sawtry.
A family of Belgian refugees in Sawtry in 1915.
More than 250,000 Belgians were taken in by the UK at the start of WW1 as the German forces overwhelmed the Belgian defences. Appeals were put out for UK citizens to provide accommodation and huge numbers stepped forward in an effort to play their part in the conflict.
Decorations and celebrations in Sawtry on the occasion of King George V’s coronation in 1911.