Lovely image, if a little sad for railway enthusiasts, showing the derlect site of Wansford Road railway station which had been closed for at least 16 years even when this photograph was taken. A little used line, the Stamford & Essendine branch closed in 1929 having struggled to pick up traffic after the 1926 general strike.
Wansford Road station looking towards Stamford with the cattle pens and loading area just beyond the station on the left. Sheep travelling to market at Stamford comfortbaly exceeded passenger numbers which undoubtedly contributed to the early closure of the station and line.
Sited midway between the villages of Sutton, Wansford and Upton but based in the parish of Sutton, “Wansford Road Station” was situated on the Stamford & Sibson branch of the Stamford & Essendine Railway and was also on the busy turnpike road used by carrier carts. It had a busy set of cattle pens which were used for loading sheep on trains bound for the market at Stamford.
The line opened in 1867 and closed to passengers in 1929 before closing completely in 1931.