Categories

Wansford Station Cottages

A lovely shot of the old cottages that still sit alongside Wansford Station today (2013) and still look just as immaculate !

 

Steam through Wansford

A superb shot of a steam hauled freight powered by 4-6-0 5MT No.45324 heading west through Wansford Station in 1963.

Many thanks to the Nene Valley Railway museum department for allowing us to use this image.

Wansford – Haycock Stables (1929)

An image from June 1929 of the stabling yard behind the Haycock Hotel in Wansford.

Steam Rollers on Wansford Bridge (1929)

A steam buff’s dream as a number of steam rollers line up on the newly constructed Wansford Bridge in 1929, built to divert the Great North Road around the village and onto the route the A1 takes today.

Wansford (1948)

Looking along the Great North Road from alongside the Haycock Hotel in 1948.

Wansford Station in the Sixties

Looking back towards Wansford Station from the level crossing in the 1960s, just ahead of the line’s closure and a little longer before the site was expanded to become today’s home of the Nene Valley Railway.

Wansford – Leicester Road

The old Leicester Road (A47) in Wansford – date unknown – and a 2012 image from a similar location.

Haycock Hotel sign

An excellent sign at the Haycock Hotel in Wansford – date unknown.

Wansford Bypass

The newly opened Wansford bypass c.1929 with the old exit point from Wansford for the Great North Road still in use on the left of the image. The “art-deco” white building is the “New Mermaid Inn” which was a less than appropriate replacement for the “Old Mermaid Inn” that had previously sat in the village at the crossroads of the Great North Road and the Leicester Road (A47) before being demolished in order to straighten the staggered junction.

The “New Mermaid” saw life as a Little Chef until recently but now, in 2012, is a sorry and derelict site and sadly looking to be in its last years of existance.

Around thirty years later in the 1950s, the photographer’s son Dennis Thompson sits astride his motorbike on virtually the same spot as the image above.

This image, also from the late 1950s, is looking north over the new bridge crossing the Nene.

Images courtesy of Marcus Thompson from the Harold Burleigh Thompson collection

Colliers Garage, Wansford (1925)

Looking along the Great North Road in Wansford with the Haycock Hotel on the far right and Collier’s Garage in the distant left just before the bridge. The sign on the left says “Colliers Garage, Automobile Engineers & Agents” and, at the bottom, it advertises “Clincher Tyres” which found favour with motorists in the 1897-1925 period.

The garage buildings were demolished in 1993 with new terraced properties erected on the site ten years later.

Image courtesy of Marcus Thompson from the Harold Burleigh Thompson collection