An early image showing Westwood Airfield, formerly known as Walton Airfield.
British Air Ministry description ……… “Line up of men and S.E.5A fighter aircraft of No. 1 Squadron RAF. Aircraft with serial numbers C1114 and B8254 visible in line up”
The building of and opening of the Baker Perkins Apprentice School on Westfield Road which was constructed from December 1952 and officially opened in January 1954. Although the Baker Perkins Westwood Works site was levelled in 2003, the Apprentice School remains standing and in use today.
The Westwood site of Freemans catalogue shopping warehouse which opened in Peterborough in 1969 and closed forty years later in late 2009. At one point, the site provided employment for more than 3,000 workers.
A 1947 aerial view showing Westwood Works (centre) and the RAF Westwood/RAF Peterborough site in the distance (left).
[image courtesy http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk]
Probably dating to the 1970s, this was the Freemans Factory in Westwood which moved to the city in 1969 and closed exactly 40 years later.
The automated distribution centre was the first in the UK to post goods in plastic packaging along with the first to generate heat from waste packaging.
Four “first day covers” commemorating British European Airways first official Helicopter Mail service from Peterborough to Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Norwich and Thetford.
The helicopter mail was an experimental service using a fleet of five helicopters from the USA (three Sikorsky S-51s and two Bell 47s). Dummy runs were made from their base in Yeovil and proved successful so an official service was launched on 1st June 1946 from Westwood Airfield, Peterborough to numerous destinations to the East.
The service continued until March 1950.
Kevin Sanders (bottom, second right) farewell party in 1994 as he leaves Westwood Wanderers rugby club to pursue opportunities in boxing management.
A horse drawn Horrells Dairies delivery cart pictured in 1985.
The aftermath of a fire that damaged the old aircraft hangar at Westwood in 1977. The hangar was a survivor from the RAF Westwood site and had been earmarked for development as an indoor sports centre.
The fire, combined with a number of accidents involving children playing in the old buildings, eventually saw most of the surviving buildings levelled.