A mystery back garden and house somewhere in Yaxley. Image is dated 1912.
A third class single ticket from Peterborough North to the old station at Yaxley & Farcet issued on 16th October 1955.
The station, which was sited just south of the Broadway Bridge, opened in 1890 as simply Yaxley Station before being renamed Yaxley & Farcet in 1895. It closed in the early part of 1959.
A letter postmarked from Yaxley POW Camp which was sited off London Road (A15) on the Hampton side opposite where today’s junction with Brunel Drive is (see image below).
The site started off as a Military Camp, which during the days after the Dunkirk Evacuation in 1940, was bursting at the seams. One of the units based at Yaxley at this time was the 401/219 Company, Royal Engineers. The Camp later became a POW Camp housing mixed nationalities including Poles, Ukranians, Yugoslavs, one White Russian, Germans, Italians and some stateless persons. They were all subject to work permits and the Aliens Order Restrictions.
When the POW camp ceased to be, it was taken over by the National Service Hostels Association and renamed the “Yaxley Hostel” and was under the control of the Peterborough Office of the Ministry of Labour. The Hostel housed employees from The London Brick Co. Ltd (working at various brickyards in the Yaxley, Peterborough and Whittlesey areas), British Rail workers (mostly employed on the Permanent Way section), several Peterborough engineering firms, some small firms within the Peterborough area, public works contractors and a few engaged in agriculture.
Parts of the hard standings and foundations are still in place today.
Another day trip out for the kids from Sunday School, waiting on Yaxley village green in 1904.
Children from the local Sunday School wait for their “day out” transport on the village green in 1912.
A light engine running north through Yaxley & Farcet Station which closed in 1959.
The station closed in 1959 and was located on the site currently (2013) occupied by Clarkdrain.
A Third Class ticket from Peterborough North to Yaxley & Farcet Station from 1947.
The station closed in 1959 but was sited just downline from Broadway on what is currently (2013) the Clarkdrain site, appropriately on Station Road.
This image was captured from the side of today’s A15 somewhere in the vicinity of Yaxley which would have been in the distant right with what appear to be the Fletton brickworks in the distance. If anybody wants to identify the three way junction in the near distance, please let us know !
Image courtesy of Marcus Thompson from the Harold Burleigh Thompson collection