Castor Tower Mill c.1918

Castor Tower Mill is thought to date back to the early 1800s although exactly when it was built is unknown. It was known to be in active use as a corn mill until 1898, after which all milling activity was switched to the nearby water mill. By the early 1930s, all parts deemed potentially dangerous to nearby walkers were removed thus leaving the stump pretty much as it looks today.

CastorTowerMill-then

CastorTowerMill-now

Bull Hotel c.1900

A flock of sheep being herded away from the nearby Cattle Market with only the Bull Hotel on the right making sense of the image today.

The most notable absentee today – apart from the sheep – is the impressive Cliffe’s “Toy and Fancy Goods” store which was unfortunately lost to fire c.1917.

BullHotel1900-then

BullHotel1900-now

Theatre Royal, Broadway 1910

The Theatre Royal opened in 1894 and was further developed to embrace cinematic entertainment in 1910, subsequently renamed in 1916 as The Grand and in 1919 as The Empire. The theatre closed in 1959 and the building demolished in 1961 to make way for Shelton’s department store which was itself demolished in the 1980s and converted into office accomodation.

Today, the Broadway Theatre sits next door to the site (to the right) having previously been the 1937 built Odeon Cinema.

Broadway3-then

 

Broad Bridge Street

Looking back along Broad Bridge Street from close to the river bridge early in the 1900s.

Prior to the first river crossing being built, the road simply ended at a riverside wharf or “hythe” and was known then as Hythegate before changing to Highgate when the first bridge was built in 1308 and then on to Bridge Street.

broadbridgestreet4-then

Boroughbury Maltings

c.1898 -v- 2009

The Westgate end of Lincoln Road was formerly known as Boroughbury and was originally dominated by the Matltings which were part of the huge Squires Brewery that existed on the site until 1837 when most of it was demolished to allow for the building of North Street.

Boroughburymaltings-then

Boroughburymaltings-now

Barnack

1908 -v- 2009

A scene that has changed little over the last hundred years and will probably change little over the next hundred years too.

Note the clever modifications to the second building down to turn a shop into a home.

The lower image shows the view back up the street around 1919 with the village stores on the near left.

barnack1907-thenbarnack1907-now

Angel Hotel, Bridge Street

Prior to the building of the current day WH Smiths building, the corner of Priestgate and Bridge Street was the site of the Angel Hotel which had existed on the site since the late 1400s.

During it’s existance, the Angel was the sporting HQ for the city with major sporting events administered on the site and was also the centre for local Tory politics.

Adam’s Mill, Lincoln Road, Millfield

The original photo was taken in the early 1900s but the mill dated back to 1831 and even before then there was an old “post mill” on the site that dated back much further.

John Adams took over in 1846 having formerly operated the mill at Fletton (Tower Mill) and it became known locally as “Adam’s Mill”. The mill stopped working around 1916 and was largely derelict by 1923. In 1937, it was sold to garage owners for redevelopment hence the local “Adam’s Garage” and “Adams of Peterborough”, as well as the nearby Windmill public house and Windmill Road. The stump of the old mill remained on the forecourt of the garage until very recently.

In 2009,  the site offered a decidedly unspectacular scene with the Jet petrol station, albeit the Windmill Pub continues to do business directly across the road.

Dogsthorpe Village

Hard to imagine the current day “suburb” of Dogsthorpe as a village but this image looks rural enough to qualify for the tag …… muddy road included !

The image dates to pre-1924 as the Bluebell pub is shown before it was extended. The building to the right is the original. The smaller cottages (behind the trees/bush) are 5 cottages that were demolished in the early 1920’s and it is believed the materials were used to extend the pub to what it is today.

[Many thanks to Steve Williams of the Peterborough Area Local History Forum for his help with this one]

Market Square, Whittlesey c.1912

An early shot of the market square in Whittlesey showing the old buttercross building that dates back to 1680 and was originally a place for people to sell goods at market. In the 1800s, it was considered useless and orders were given for the building to be demolished. It was only saved when a local businessman donated some slate tiles for the roof. Today, it serves as a bus shelter, and is the town’s most famous landmark.

 

The Wheatsheaf, Alwalton

The Wheatsheaf at Alwalton, probably photographed in the late 1950s, early 1960s. Still present and very recognisable today but operating under the name of The Cuckoo.

The rear courtyard of the pub gives clues as to its original existance as the village stables.