An undated image showing Main Street in Ailsworth.
An undated view along St Pauls Road with a 2017 image from the same location below.
Workers from J P Halls and Sons who manufactured water pumps for ships and industrial use . The company was started in Wallsend, Newcastle Upon Tyne by John Perry Hall and moved to Peterborough in 1893. The factory closed in 1963 when Bennie Lifts bought the London Road / Queens Walk premises.
The aftermath of a 1905 fire at Godfreys Wagon Works, one of several privately owned wagon works adjacent to Peterborough East Station.
An aerial shoot looking down on the Town Bridge in the last days before building work started on today’s river and rail bridge. Peterborough East station is just in shot top right while the newly opened (1929) Power Station is out of shot bottom left with coal wagons being served up from the main line.
A superb early 1920s aerial image looking down on Thorpe Road and the old Gaol building.
Built in 1840, the buildings were only a prison for a relatively short period of time as, by 1878, the buildings had become the home of the Liberty of Peterborough and the Liberty magistrates’ court with the prisoners having been transferred to Cambridge or Northampton.
The frontage of the old gaol is all that remains today, having become a Grade II listed building in 1973.
A wonderful image showing Church Street in Deeping St James around 1905 with the Drapers/Grocers of John and Jane Shillaker near right. John died in 1903 so it was Jane who was running the store by the time of this photograph.
Midgate viewed from the junction with Long Causeway as an inbound Newark Tram approaches the turn into the city centre terminus. The top image dates to c.1905, the bottom one to 2017.
Stanier 4-6-0 #45615 “Malay States” powers away southbound under Crescent Bridge and alongside the wonderful old Crescent Station buildings …… Peterborough’s very short lived third railway station !
A lovely image showing a a horse drawn delivery wagon belonging to the Bakery Department of the Peterborough Co-Operative Society and dated close to 1900. Location is thought to be Taverners Road.