Adam’s Mill, Lincoln Road, Millfield

A scene you’d struggle to recognise today of Lincoln Road, looking out towards Millfield in the distance and showing what was then the major landmark in the area, Adam’s Mill.

John Adams took over the mill in 1846 having formerly operated the mill at Fletton (Tower Mill) and it became known locally as “Adam’s Mill”. The mill stopped working around 1916 and was largely derelict by 1923. In 1937, it was sold to garage owners for redevelopment hence the local “Adam’s Garage” and “Adams of Peterborough”, as well as the nearby Windmill public house and Windmill Road. The stump of the old mill remained on the forecourt of the garage until very recently.

Today the site is covered by the Jet petrol station, albeit the Windmill Pub continues to do business directly across the road.

The Old Mermaid Inn, Wansford

A lovely old view from above the bridge at Wansford looking up to what is now the main crossroads with the “Old Leicester Road” (Wansford Church is to the immediate left of the photographer).

The Old Mermaid Inn was demolished once traffic in the area rendered the staggered crossroads in front of it too dangerous. The quiet rural scene depicted in this 1920s image actually shows the junction of what is now the A1 (heading away from the photographer) and the A47 (arriving from the left in front of the inn).

Once road traffic started to increase, the demolition of the inn allowed the crossroads to be tidied up a little before eventually both the roads were rebuilt to bypass the village.

Market Square

A really nice image probably from around the late 1920s showing Market square or Cathedral Square as we know it today.

Note the lovely old car parked next to the drinking fountain that has since moved to Bishops Gardens and on the very far right you can see an early Boots the Chemists store.

Longthorpe Village Pond

Not the results of a spell of wet weather but a bona-fide village pond …… in the street !

Being just up the road from the horse-drawn bus terminus at the Fox & Hounds, the pond was regularly used to clean the hooves of horses and the wheels of the carriages they pulled.

The pathway to Longthorpe Tower heads off to the right, just this side of the cottage. The lower image dates to around 1905.

Holme Railway Station

Waiting for the train at Holme Station in 1910. 

The Great Northern Railway station at Holme was opened in 1850 and stopped functioning as a passenger station in April 1959. It remained active in support of a goods yard until October 1970 but has long since been demolished with no remains in evidence today …… other than the busy east coast mainline of course !

Haycock Stables, Wansford

Probably shot in the 1920s, the stable block is thought to be the oldest part of the Haycock complex, possibly dating back as far as the 1500s.

Sited on the Great North Road, the Haycock was a major stopping off point for horse-drawn transport and, at one point, employed in excess of twenty grooms to look after the horses.

Glatton – High Haden Road

A quiet rural scene in Glatton just off the the A1 north-west of Sawtry. No idea of date but Alan Haverly of East Sussex adds ……..

“This is of a set of cottages in High Haden Road, known at the time as ‘Cole’s Cottages’, as they were owned by a Mr & Mrs Cole. The picture I believe is from around 1940, or maybe a fraction later as the bungalow on the right of the picture was built in the mid 1930s and lived in during the 1950s and 1960s by the Herbert family.

The fact that the lane is not looking too well kept gives great suggestion to the 1940s period. My own parents lived in a part of the cottage in question during the mid 1940s.”

Opening of Crescent Bridge

The city mayor leads a party of dignatories across the newly opened Crescent Bridge in 1913.

The bridge was named after a small row of houses on the Thorpe Road side of the bridge where the current WH Smith distribution warehouse sits.