The old Slipper Baths on Trinity Street and, below, an old galvanised Slipper Bath sold recently at a local auction. The old buildings to the left of the Slipper Baths would, in 2018, be the site of the Trinity Street Car Park.
The Slipper Baths were used by locals who had no access to baths at home (or even hot water in some cases). The building opened in 1935 but was still in use into the early 1970s. At their peak of popularity in the early 1950s, more than 1,000 people used the baths every week !
Inside, there were 24 “slipper” baths (see image below), 18 for men and 6 for women. The charge was 6d for the bath, 6d for towel hire and 1d for soap. There were individual cubicles with their own mirror, bath brush and a wooden board to stand on.