Home Town Bridge The Wooden Town Bridge c.1860

The Wooden Town Bridge c.1860

720

The first wooden “Town Bridge” was built by the Abbot of Peterborough in 1308 and survived via numerous enhancements until being replaced in 1872 by an iron structure paid for by public subscription. That was subsequently replaced by today’s concrete structure in 1934.

Unfortunately, the grass bankside is now overgrown and largely replaced by the path alongside Charters floating restaurant which also obscures the right hand side of the image.