Home Town Bridge Town Bridge c.1904

Town Bridge c.1904

896

The earlier 1872 bridge shown here crossed the river but, unlike today, there was no second bridge to cross the railway. Crossing the railway meant taking on a gated railway crossing to the left of the bridge in this picture and that was a nightmare for locals heading into the city as this was the only route in from the southern side of the river at the time.

The buildings on the left were grain storage warehouses belonging to the Midland Railway.

The Customs House to the right saw greater activity as a Toll House, collecting from river craft who would moor at the adjacent quayside, now lost under the current bridge.