Home Westwood BEA Helicopter Mail (1948)

BEA Helicopter Mail (1948)

366

Four “first day covers” commemorating British European Airways first official Helicopter Mail service from Peterborough to Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Norwich and Thetford.

The helicopter mail was an experimental service using a fleet of five helicopters from the USA (three Sikorsky S-51s and two Bell 47s). Dummy runs were made from their base in Yeovil and proved successful so an official service was launched on 1st June 1946 from Westwood Airfield, Peterborough to numerous destinations to the East.

The service continued until March 1950.