The city’s entertainment centre in the early 1900s, Broadway boasted the Kinema, mid left, and in the distance, the Theatre Royal.
The Kinema had just undergone extensive renovation work in 1912 to boost its seated capacity to 1,000 and went on to become simply The Broadway by the early 1920s.
In 1959, The Broadway became The Gaumont and then, as with many of its kind, became a bingo hall up until its demise and demolition in 1987 after which the site hosted an amusement arcade and shops.
The tallest building on the right was The Hippodrome Theatre and the roof railings formerly supported a Hollywood style Hippodrome sign. The theatre was demolished when the ABC Cinema was built next door in 1937.