Home Bridge Street City Cinema

City Cinema

896

1962 -v- 2008

The City Cinema opened on Bridge Street in 1927 and was hugely popular with its own in-house orchestra to accompany what were then silent movies.

The magnificent building was demolished in 1964 to make way for today’s nondescript Marks & Spencer building.

The road to the far right was Wentworth Street which, in those days was dog-leg in shape and turned down to meet Bridge Street.

citycinema60s-now