Home Cowgate Cowgate Graveyard

Cowgate Graveyard

291

A wonderful undated image showing the pathway through the old Parish Graveyard at the top of Cowgate which is in the distance.

The site proved hopelessly inadequate for the rapidly growing city in the second half of the 1800s and was declared “full” around 1860. Burials after that time moved to Broadway Cemetery which also accommodated the relocation of Cowgate’s gravestones and the burials by close of the 1940s.