A superb shot of Peterborough’s little known Crescent Station captured around 1939, a full 73 years after it stopped being used by the Midland Railway.
The station was built in February 1858 to provide the Midland Railway with its own station north of the river and in a more central location than its existing terminus at Peterborough East. The station only saw service for just over 8 years as the Midland Railway was eventually given its own platform at Peterborough North.
As the image shows, Crescent Station was sited just south of what was originally the main level crossing and later Crescent Bridge.
As with Peterborough East, a real shame that such a magnificent building wasn’t saved in some way !