Home Sutton End of the line for Wansford Road Station c.1945

End of the line for Wansford Road Station c.1945

1994

Lovely image, if a little sad for railway enthusiasts,  showing the derelict site of Wansford Road railway station which had been closed for at least 16 years even when this photograph was taken. A little used line, the so-called Sibson Extension (Stamford – Wansford) was originally part of the Stamford & Essendine Company. The Stamford – Wansford branch closed in 1929 having struggled to pick up traffic after the 1926 general strike.