Home Westwood Helicopter Mail Service Cutting (1948)

Helicopter Mail Service Cutting (1948)

65

A newspaper cutting covering the start of the Helicopter Mail service in 1948.

The helicopter mail was an experimental service using a fleet of five helicopters from the USA (three Sikorsky S-51s and two Bell 47s). Dummy runs were made from their base in Yeovil and proved successful so an official service was launched on 1st June 1948 from Westwood Airfield, Peterborough to numerous destinations to the East.

The service continued until March 1950.