Home Milton Milton Ferry c.1912

Milton Ferry c.1912

1689

Milton Ferry bridge, spanning the River Nene, formerly supported a toll-gate for charging pedestrians who used the local path to and from Alwalton.

Records show that toll collectors were still working the bridge well into the 1960s and were usually based at the nearby Ferry Cottages (right) which were actually moved up the hill to make way for the new A47 road.

A tablet on the side of the bridge shows that it was originally built in 1716, financed entirely by the Right Honourable William Earl Fitzwilliam.

The distant buildings are Ferry Lodge (far left) and Ferry House (centre) which flank the main entrance to Milton Hall and Park.