Home Villages Oundle Oundle Tower Mill

Oundle Tower Mill

Probably pictured in the late 1930s, Oundle Tower Mill can be traced back to the 1700s on a site near Glapthorn Road.

In the early 1800s, the mill was owned and operated by the Callow family who also owned and ran the mill at Castor. Although the four sails that drove the original mill were removed in 1908, grinding continued courtesy of a “gas engine” right up to the late 1920s but had ceased by the mid-1930s. Much of the mill’s equipment remained on site until the early 1940s when it is believed most of it was removed as scrap for the war effort.

The local limestone built mill building remained on the site until 1964 when its then owner, a Mr Crawley, had it demolished. Today the site of the Mill is recalled by Mill Fields, a road off New Road.