Home Thorpe Road The Old Gaol, Thorpe Road (1924)

The Old Gaol, Thorpe Road (1924)

1392

A rare 1924 aerial shot showing the old Gaol buildings on Thorpe Road …… the surviving frontage more recently housing the Sessions House restaurant.

Built in 1840, the buildings were only a prison for a relatively short period of time as, by 1878, the buildings had become the home of the Liberty of Peterborough and the Liberty magistrates’ court with the prisoners having been transferred to Cambridge or Northampton.

The frontage of the old gaol is all that remains today, having become a Grade II listed building in 1973.