Home Thorney The Tankyard, Thorney (c.1896)

The Tankyard, Thorney (c.1896)

186

A very early image from around 1896 showing The Tankyard at Thorney which today houses the Thorney Heritage Museum. The neo-Jacobean building, now known as Bedford Hall, includes a 96 ft high water tower, erected in 1855, that supplied fresh water to the village.

Standing outside the engineer’s cottage building is wife of the Estate Foreman Ann Parker and in the foreground are her children Walter Parker, Ethel Mary Parker, Lucy Maud Parker and Lily Bates Parker.

[Thanks to Helen Parker-Drabble of the Thorney Society for use of the image]