Home Thorpe Road Thorpe Road Jail

Thorpe Road Jail

58

A 1920s image of the Thorpe Road jail house, the frontage of which survives today thanks to being Grade II listed in 1973.

The jail was built in 1840 and served as a jail for only a relatively short period of time as, by 1878, the buildings had become the home of the Liberty of Peterborough and the Liberty magistrates’ court with the prisoners having been transferred to Cambridge or Northampton.