Wharf Road School pictured in the early 1900s.
The school opened in 1873 as the Woodston Parochial School before becoming the Woodston C of E Mixed School in 1900. In 1957, the school was significantly altered and became St Augustine’s CE (Aided) Junior School which eventually moved from Wharf Road to Palmerston Road in 1973.
Former pupil Peter Thomas was at the original Wharf Road School in 1948 and commented, “the school site contained two buildings, an infants school for two forms and the original building from the 1870s. This had separate entrances and separate playgrounds for girls and boys. The school field was not exactly level and contained some treacherous patches of stinging leaves. Even in 1950 the only toilets were outside and individual classrooms were heated by coal fires or stoves.”