A brass plate showing the lighting up times in line with the Lights on Vehicles Act 1907 which required that all vehicles on highways in England and Wales must display to the front a white light during the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.
The Westgate Motor Company Ltd were based (in 1911) at 51 Westgate at the junction with Queen Street. The company was the successor of W.R. Heighton & Sons established in Elton in 1876. The managing director was Mr R.H. Gale and the secretary and director Mr P.R. Heighton a well known motor racer. The premises had previously been a cycle works since 1897.